Welcome to Britain: a Call for Poetry and Short Fiction
CivicLeicester is inviting and accepting poems and short fiction on the theme, Welcome to Britain.
We welcome submissions exploring but not limited to:
images, issues, histories, lives, and demands that are currently in play in Britain today
daily life in Britain
reparations for slave trading, the use of slave labour and for benefiting from the slavery system (the extended global system involving plantation labour and slave-produced commodities etc)
issues that made the Black Lives Matter movement relevant to Britain, the current state of the movement and its possible futures
responses that engage with, contest and subvert the myths Britain tells about itself
responses to British politicians' attitudes towards the use of nuclear weapons and their fixation with the idea of pushing 'the button'
responses to Britain’s role in the current Ukraine-Russian War that go beyond, engage with or challenge the propaganda coming from both sides of the conflict
responses to how Britain positions itself in the world
migration, refugee and human rights issues in Britain, and
issues affecting racialised and minoritised groups in Britain.
We welcome submissions from writers of all ages, based anywhere in the world.
Please send the poems and/or short fiction to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2pm on Thursday, 8 September 2022.
● Poems should be 40 lines or less
● Short prose 100 words or less.
● The poems and short prose should be on the theme, Welcome to Britain.
● Submissions must be in English. In the case of translated work, it is the translator’s responsibility to obtain permission from the copyright holder of the original work.
● If submitting a poem or short prose that has been previously published, please give details of where it has appeared and confirm that you are the copyright holder.
● Ideally submissions will be typed single spaced and submitted either in the body of an email or as a .doc attachment.
● Please include a short biography of 100 words or less. This will be included in the anthology if your poem or short fiction is accepted.
● You may submit a maximum of three poems or three pieces of short fiction or a combination of poems and short fiction. You do not have to submit all three at the same time, but the editors can only consider a maximum of three submissions.
● We welcome submissions from writers of all ages, based anywhere in the world.
● Please send the poems and short fiction to email@example.com by 2pm on Thursday, 8 September 2022.