[Interview] Nicola Beaumont

Nicola Beaumont writes contemporary romance stories as well as regency romance novels.

Her books include a novel, The Resurrection of Lady Somerset (Wild Rose Press, 2007), a novella, The Lighthouse (Wild Rose Press, 2007) and an inspirational short story, "Hyacinths in Winter" (Wild Rose Press, 2007).

In a recent interview, she spoke about her writing.

How would you describe the writing you do most?

Lovely escapist fiction. Romances are a great way to lose oneself for a time in another story, knowing full-well that there will be a warm-fuzzy "happily ever after."

I write specifically for women between the ages of 18 and 70. However, anyone can enjoy a romance, I believe, and since I write "sweet" romances, there's nothing of what some would call "inappropriate" included.

What motivated you to start writing?

My love of reading the genre and a desire to create the same types of stories.

I seriously decided to try my hand at writing after reading some Harlequin romances. I mistakenly thought they would be easy to pen. In my abysmal first attempts, I discovered two things: Romances are not easy to write -- and, I love writing.

Who would you say has influenced you the most?

I'm not easily influenced!

Seriously, I hope that my Christianity is what influences me the most, so that my characters are infused with a high regard for other people, and a love of virtue that helps them conquer whatever conflicts they are dealing with in their created worlds.

What are your main concerns as a writer?

Always, my main concern is writing an interesting sustainable story with complex characters that are both flawed and able to overcome.

The biggest challenge I face in writing is creating believable characters with whom readers will sympathize. Creating contrived situations and dialogue is easy -- making it "feel" real is the challenge.

How do you deal with these challenges?

As I write a scene, I picture it in my mind as if I'm watching it unfold, and I allow the character to grow and change beyond my initial thought for who they should be.

Do you write every day?

I used to write every day. Now, with my other responsibilities, I don't have time to write each day, but I do set goals and deadlines for myself to keep on track.

As far as fiction, I've had two novels published: The Resurrection of Lady Somerset, a traditional regency romance which was published in September 2007 by The Wild Rose Press [and] The Lighthouse, an inspirational novella that was also published in September 2007 by The Wild Rose Press.

I can tell you, I was very excited when I was told both books would be released on the same day! It's a rarity, and one for which I'm very grateful.

I also have an inspirational short story that was published in July 2007 by The Wild Rose Press, entitled "Hyacinths in Winter." It's a story of mistakes and forgiveness.

How long did it take you to write your debut novel?

The Resurrection of Lady Somerset took me a couple of months to write. The most difficult aspect of this book was also the most enjoyable -- I love a challenge -- and that aspect was writing a mute heroine. It's a challenge to create conflict and tension when one of the main characters can't vocalize her own concerns.

Every author has a unique voice, and I think that regardless of genre, that voice comes through in whatever they write. Hopefully, my voice, shines in all my work.

The Resurrection of Lady Somerset was my first Regency. Wanting to write it was the catalyst for me to research and learn about the time period -- a period I now love -- I think as a "first" it will always hold a special place in my heart.

What will your next book be about?

I'm working on a couple of things -- a Christian Regency novella and a traditional regency full-length book.

What would you say has been your most significant achievement as a writer?

My most significant achievement as a writer was finishing my first book. It was an awful specimen that will never see the light of day, but if I hadn't finished it, I wouldn't have gone on to write more, hone my talents, and finally pen something that was actually entertaining.

The only way to learn how to write is to write -- and listen to constructive criticism.

This article was first published on OhmyNews International.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Interview] Rory Kilalea

writers' resources

[Interview] Lauri Kubuitsile