[Interview] Skylar Sinclair

Skylar Sinclair is an award-winning graphic designer and erotic romance author.

Her works includes the eBooks, Rearing Heat (Siren-BookStrand, Inc., 2007), Impassioned Sea (Atlantic Bridge/Liquid Silver Books, 2007), Purr For Me (Phaze, 2007) and The Tome of Unnatural Desires (Tease Publishing LLC, 2007).

Her stories have also been featured in anthologies that include Babes in Toyland II (Aspen Mountain Press, 2007), Lust Bites: Volume Two (Total-e-bound, ____) and Coming Together Under Fire (Phaze, 2007).

In this interview, Skylar Sinclair talks about her work.*

How would you describe your writing?

It is almost a dead heat between fantasy and paranormal. With either, they are truly about make-believe to the point, these worlds and realms that are unlike anything one could dream up. These genres create unique places for the readers to loss themselves in, while getting to know wondrous characters and magical happenings.

Who is your target audience?

I would have to say anyone that finds erotica titillating and love alpha-type characters.

I also write a little on the side of dark and like to write endings that one might not expect. I try to pen very different and unique books.

What motivated you to start writing?

I am an avid reader of fantasy and paranormal, so it seemed to come naturally for me to write in that genre too. We live in the real world, and sometimes it is nice to be taken away from the daily grind, journeying to exotic and otherworldly places dreamed up by an author’s marvelous mind.

Who influenced you most?

When it comes to honing and refining my writing that would be Regan Taylor. From the start, she has been there to encourage, inspire and help me raise the bar on my writing style. I owe her much and appreciate what she has done for me daily.

How have your personal experiences influenced your writing?

Fun thing is, I write very little of myself and/or experiences in my books. I pull almost all plots, dialogues and motivation from newly discovered places each time I take up the proverbial pen to write a story.

What are your main concerns as a writer?

I want my stories/books to entertain and captivate the readers when they read my works. [I deal with this by] writing the best I can each and every time.

What are the biggest challenges that you face?

Waiting for a contract after spending a lot of time writing a story. Then you have to wait again for the reviews to come in. Once more to see how the book sells. Do the reader like it?

It all boils down to learning patience -- a lot of patience.

How do you deal with these challenges?

The best way to learn the lesson of patience is to forget about the finished book and start right away on another. Getting immersed into a new projects works wonders.

Do you write everyday?

Yes, I write daily.

I can write as much as 5,000 words a day to as little as 250. It depends on if my muse is talking and how creative I feel that day.

What is your latest book about?

My last story to be published was Christmas Ink, which also was a top placing story in a Christmas writing contest held at Stardust Press. I ended up contracting it with Mardi Gras publishing. It took me about a week to write then another week to edit.

Which aspects of the work that you put into the book did you find most difficult?

I find moving a story along, while keeping it believable and fresh is hard at times. Also, I find editing one of the least things I like about writing, but it has to be done.

Which did you enjoy most?

To be honest when I write those last few words that complete the story. There is nothing like finishing a book you put all your heart and soul into.

What sets the book apart from the other things you have written?

Each and every book I pen is different and unique unto itself. They all stand on their own merit and premise. Whether they are fantasy, paranormal or contemporary.

In what way is it similar?

They all have alpha-type characters that dominate the pages. And the sexual contents are always hot.

What will your next book be about?

The next book I have coming out is Dream Lord: The Tome of Unnatural Desires. It is a fantasy erotic tale that includes male/male, male/female/male and male/female scenes.

There are three other books in the series, Shadowed Passion and Fallen Angels.

What would you say has been your most significant achievement as a writer?

That my books sale and have been bestsellers, also.

But none of that would have been possible without the readers who support and buy my books. Without them, I would have no one to write for. Without them I am nothing.

*This conversation with Skylar Sinclair took place in February 2007.

Related books:

,,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[Interview] Rory Kilalea

writers' resources

[Interview] Lauri Kubuitsile